Most countries have cereal with prizes in the box. In India, out poured a rusty nail instead! Joseph's response? "At least it isn't sharp." Way to look at the bright side Joseph;-)
Kai has chicken pox right now and I was sick the other day, so the posts have been in short supply as of late:-( It was the birthday of the President of the college yesterday and it's his daughter's wedding next week, so we have been having some interesting happenings lately and thought you might enjoy "A Day in the Life of the Wegert Family (+ mom)" post.
Whilst cleaning our house for the upcoming wedding, the college students cleaned the spiderwebs from our property. Turns out, there were 70. Yes, seventy ugly, black, big as a man's hand spiders. Things are not wasted here, so what did they do with said spiders? Made them into a chutney and ate them. I kid you not....
That reminds me, the kids were looking at a nasty (smallish- about the size of a peanut plus long legs) spider. I took pictures and all was dandy, until Rai reached out and grabbed it by the legs! I started screaming at him, thinking he had gone bonkers, so he drops it and looks inquisitively at me. "What on earth were you thinking?" I asked. "In my village, we eat those..." Ewww...
2 Camels meandered past our restaurant window (TGI Fridays) carrying some sort of green vegetable and a Bull blocked my path out of a store.
Climbing over a wall is a perfectly ordinary occasion. There are ladders, but test it first lest it fall apart.
A gigantic idol (hindu) is hauled past our house on a tractor with a full drum procession and dancing on its way to the lake.
Contractors use rusty metal for the structure of buildings! Don't worry, though, they paint over it first (what!?!)!
Traffic reluctantly stops for the cow moseying across the street, but hardly for the people running across it.
"Blessed are those who hunger and thirsty for righteousness..." Stifling my giggle, I smiled to show the little girl that she did a good job reciting her verse. Moving on, I realized that every single child who recited their verse thought it was hunger and thirsty (It's supposed to be thirst)! Ah, what wonderful surprises these little ones bring daily:-)
A farewell dinner was served on banana leaves while sitting on the floor. The food was amazing, though. It was a feast!
Also wanted to mention that my sister has a God-given talent for teaching and happens to be starting an awesome inductive Bible study (Kay Arthur). The sign-up deadline is very soon (okay, it was yesterday), but Gretchen would love to have you join, so sign up asap (even if it's a wee bit late)! I'll be attending the Tuesday night classes starting when I get back (November 8th). I've done this type of Bible Study before and it is superb.
![]() |
| I spy something brown, rusty, and covered in chocolate |
Kai has chicken pox right now and I was sick the other day, so the posts have been in short supply as of late:-( It was the birthday of the President of the college yesterday and it's his daughter's wedding next week, so we have been having some interesting happenings lately and thought you might enjoy "A Day in the Life of the Wegert Family (+ mom)" post.
Whilst cleaning our house for the upcoming wedding, the college students cleaned the spiderwebs from our property. Turns out, there were 70. Yes, seventy ugly, black, big as a man's hand spiders. Things are not wasted here, so what did they do with said spiders? Made them into a chutney and ate them. I kid you not....
![]() |
| Pointing at the spider |
We often play games with flashlights because the electricity goes out all the time. My mom thinks it's hilarious:-) Just another day in the life! (The electricity goes out for hours at a time, several times a week).
2 Camels meandered past our restaurant window (TGI Fridays) carrying some sort of green vegetable and a Bull blocked my path out of a store.
Climbing over a wall is a perfectly ordinary occasion. There are ladders, but test it first lest it fall apart.
A gigantic idol (hindu) is hauled past our house on a tractor with a full drum procession and dancing on its way to the lake.
![]() |
Contractors use rusty metal for the structure of buildings! Don't worry, though, they paint over it first (what!?!)!
Traffic reluctantly stops for the cow moseying across the street, but hardly for the people running across it.
"Blessed are those who hunger and thirsty for righteousness..." Stifling my giggle, I smiled to show the little girl that she did a good job reciting her verse. Moving on, I realized that every single child who recited their verse thought it was hunger and thirsty (It's supposed to be thirst)! Ah, what wonderful surprises these little ones bring daily:-)
A farewell dinner was served on banana leaves while sitting on the floor. The food was amazing, though. It was a feast!
Hebrew's Women's Bible Study- Draw Near to His Throne
Also wanted to mention that my sister has a God-given talent for teaching and happens to be starting an awesome inductive Bible study (Kay Arthur). The sign-up deadline is very soon (okay, it was yesterday), but Gretchen would love to have you join, so sign up asap (even if it's a wee bit late)! I'll be attending the Tuesday night classes starting when I get back (November 8th). I've done this type of Bible Study before and it is superb.
When - 2 CLASS TIMES AVAILABLE!!
Saturdays, 9-11am Starting October 8th
Tuesdays, 6-8 pm Starting October 11th
Where - Grace Church of Mesa; 8701 Brown Road, Mesa (Brown and the 202)
Materials - $45 for the 19 week study; Can be made in 2 payments of $22.50 in Oct and Jan; FULL Scholarships available just let me know!!!!
Invite A Friend! Please pray about someone you may want to invite to come with you!!
Info Session Sept 27th - Need More Info?: Want to know more about "Inductive" Bible Study - Attend the "How to Study Your Bible" Women's Dessert, Sept 27th at 6:30 at Grace Church! Email me to sign-up! (Ooops... sorry for the late post! Instead you can email me for more info:-)
TO SIGN UP FOR THE STUDY - Email Gretchen (lowerygretchen@gmail.com) or call (480)353-9417 by Sept 28th; Please let me know if you would like to attend Saturday or Tuesdays.
Winter Visitors: Please let me know if you would like to join us but won't be back yet in early October. Depending on when you will be here we can work out a plan together!!
![]() |
| close up of almost-eaten spider (Rai is the child on the left) |
![]() |
| He's the happiest spotty baby I've ever seen! |









I love reading about all the interesting things that are happening! Also, the pictures are great; you really got a good quality camera! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Val! I really enjoy the feedback:-)
ReplyDelete